History of The Campanile Foundation
The Foundation takes its name from the landmark tower or campanile on the northwest
corner of the original campus quad completed in 1931. Though reminiscent of a Mediterranean
church tower, it did not hold bells originally, but was used to camouflage a 5,000-gallon
water tank. In 1946, Senator and Mrs. Ed Fletcher donated chimes to commemorate the
50th anniversary of the university and memorialize all SDSU students lost in war.